Jim Schoemehl Run continues to support ALS for its 22nd  year

Arianna Peper
News/Opinion Editor

Runners begin the 16th annual Jim Schoemehl Run for ALS on Saturday, May 6, 2017, in Webster Groves. Photo by Ashli Wagner

About the Jim Schoemehl Run, marketing teacher Kathryn Laurentius said, “It’s a cool event that has a lot of history at Webster.”

The run first began when Jim Schoemehl had been diagnosed with ALS. His wife, who was a marketing teacher at Webster, started the run with her students to raise money for him. Since then, it has continued to support those who have ALS by donating the money raised from the run.

This year, the Jim Schoemehl Run is taking place at WGHS on Sat. May 6, 7:30 a.m. To help support the cause, community members can donate on its website, volunteer, and participate in the run.

To participate in the run, adults must pay $30 for the 5k, and $35 for the 10k. It costs $20 for children ages 18 and under to participate for both the 5k and the 10k.

This year is Laurentius’ fourth year running the event with the Marketing ll students where they’re able to have a connection to their community through helping support those with ALS.

Senior Ellie Nakatanti said that she thinks this is a really special opportunity to help those in need who have ALS while also getting to do something she loves which is planning events. Nakatani has been helping organize the run as Co-Chair and has been in contact with the beneficiary’s son for the event while also having volunteered last year.

Every year, the Jim Schoemehl Run raises money: 90% of the profit goes to a different family or person with ALS, and the other 10% goes to the ALS charity.

For 2023, their beneficiary is Djenad Novalic, who grew up in Bosnia and moved to the United States in 2001.

ALS, also known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, is a nervous system disease that breaks down nerve cells, which weakens muscles and impacts physical function. The cause of this disease remains unknown.

Support our Sponsors

22-23 WGHS Echo Digital Ad Chelsea Center Web Skystone poster all arts web-ad MIJA Web Ad

Leave a Reply